Is Antifreeze Toxic?

Jim Johnson   June 14, 2012   Comments Off on Is Antifreeze Toxic?

Antifreeze

Spilled antifreeze, a deadly “treat” for your pet

Q) Is antifreeze toxic to my cat or dog?

A) Yes, antifreeze is very toxic to animals. The toxic component is ethylene glycol. It takes as little as 1 teaspoon to sicken a cat, and 4-5 times that to make a dog sick. Without treatment, the mortality rate is high.

If you believe your pet has ingested antifreeze, he or she should be taken to the veterinarian immediately. The prognosis with aggressive early treatment (within 4 hours of ingestion) is good. Without early treatment, most animals will die of kidney failure or at least have significant kidney damage. If you cannot reach your veterinarian, contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center ((888) 426-4435).

Unfortunately, antifreeze usually has a sweet taste that pets find interesting, so if there is an antifreeze spill nearby they will almost always try to take a drink. Don’t let them! Clean up any spilled antifreeze immediately.